Just curious about a peculiar observation

brett brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Fri May 23 19:31:20 EST 1997

>If you're a molecular biologist, there's a good chance you've experienced
>this peculiar phenomenon before: you take a 1.5 mL eppedorf tube containing
>about 100uL of solution (any solution, DNA, DTT, etc...) from a -20 freezer
>before it has frozen, the solution is clearly in liquid phase, then you
>flick the tube or you gently shake it, and as if magic by magic, the
>solution quickly freezes within a fraction of a second, making you wait 5
>minutes for the now frozen tube to thaw.
>
>Nobody I've met so far can explain it. Can any of you?
>

>Rani

It was already cold enough to be frozen, it just hadn't crystallized. Somehow
flicking the tube disturbs the solution enough to begin crystalization and
wham-o. you now have a frozen tube. happens all the time, but especially with
DTT and ampicillin.
Brett Lindenbach
Dept Molecular Microbiology
St Louis, MO

"One thousand miles an hour, I'm just like anyone.
I want to feel the road of tar beneath the wheel
named extinction" - Pixies