Cell Cultures & Time Lag

Phil Calvert calvert at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed May 21 19:55:53 EST 1997

I've read that when human fibroblasts or other cells are grown in culture
they will stop dividing when they run out of room.  What I would like to
know is, when some of the cells are transferred to fresh culture medium,
how long does it take for the cells to "recognize" that they have more room
to grow and begin dividing again?  Another way to phrase the question-- how
quickly is mitosis initiated after removal of contact inhibition?

I'd like to add that I've never cultured eukaryotic cells (except when I
made wine <g> ), and I don't presently work in the biological sciences, but
I was curious when I read about this contact inhibition phenomenon.

!-------Phil Calvert-------!
!---calvert at eos.ncsu.edu---!