T cell proliferation good measure of help?

David N. Levy levy at uab.edu
Mon May 26 11:00:12 EST 1997

I have been reviewing the literature on mapping T cell helper epitopes
in viral proteins, and most studies use synthetic peptides to stimulate
PBMC cultures in vitro and then measure cell proliferation.
Proliferation is equated with the presense of T cell helper function,
the tacit assumption being, it seems, that the cellular proliferation
induced is mostly or only by T helper cells.  My question is, what
about CTL cells?  How much proliferation are they going to undergo in
response to antigen in this assay, and is this as good as it is
presented to be?  How much do memory CD8 cells proliferate in response
to antigen?  Thanks in advance for helping cure my ignorance.

David N. Levy
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294-0007

levy at uab.edu