plasmid cracking reference?

Rob Skilton R.SKILTON at CGNET.COM
Wed May 28 14:20:34 EST 1997

I have a neat little method for screening bacterial colonies. It's commonly
known as the cracking method. A little of a bacterial colony is lysed in
SDS/NaOH solution and then analysed on an agarose gel. Recombinant plasmids
can be identified because they migrate more slowly than non-recombinant
plasmid. There are loads of modifications to this method, and Promega
details one in their protocols. In our labs the method has been handed down
and modified over many years, but I can't trace a reference to it.
Does anyone know a  reference for this method?

Rob