Reply to Fast& Cheap Plasmid Miniprep Kit

Victor Levenson levenson at uic.edu
Wed May 28 18:48:55 EST 1997

Qguo at aol.com wrote:

>I have used many different commercial kit for Plasmid miniprep, usually
>Quagen's plasmid Purification kit worked well, it worked stable, and fast.
>But recently I am using Omega Biotek's miniprep kit, it works very good, get
>very good yield as Quagen, it is a little bit fast, one miniprep takes only
>10 mins, average yield is about 30mg, the most important reason for me to use
>this kit is that it is much cheap: only $35 for 50 minipreps. I think it is a
>good deal. I hope you call them to asking a free sample or visit their Web
>Page: www. Omegabiotek.com. I hope this information can help you at some
>point. Good luck for your experiment.

I don't want to spoil anyone's business ;-) and to re-ignite
"anti-kit" polemics (where are you, Jim?), but why, for crying out
loud, are you guys spending all that time AND money when alkiline
lysis with NH4Ac neutralization gives such a quick and wonderfully
pure miniprep? Yes, it is good enough for automatic sequencing and NO,
it is not good enough for transfection. 18 minis take about 45 - 60
min and you get up to 2 ug plasmid from 1.5 ml of o/n culture. I have
not calculated the cost per miniprep (2 epp tubes are the most
expensive items, I believe), but it surely beats ANY kit.

Happy miniprepping!
Victor Levenson MD/PhD
Res Asst Prof
UIC, Dept of Genetics M/C 669