UV and PCR mastermix-reply

Roland Halil s635141 at uottawa.ca
Wed May 28 17:22:55 EST 1997

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.92.970526165920.3593A-100000 at molecule.bio.uts.edu.au>,
michelle at MOLECULE.BIO.UTS.EDU.AU (Michelle Gleeson) wrote:

> Hi Bionetters,
>
> Can anyone help me with a reference that mentions using UV
> irradiation of PCR mastermixes to eliminate contamination?  A quick
> literature search did not find anything, and we need the info for a
> publication.
> TIA!

   Hello, the Clontech RT-PCR Methods and Applications book (1991) states
that "Physical treatment, such as ultraviolet light irradiation, has also
been described to decontaminate reagents for PCR (17), although this method
is only efficient for large PCR targets."
    Reference #17 is:  Sarkar, G. and Sommer, S.S. (1990) Shedding light in
PCR contamination.  Nature 343:27.
Hope this helps!

Roland Halil
University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Canada

--
John Storring   STORR96 at MEDCOR.MCGILL.CA
MD/PhD Student McGill University, Montreal CANADA