How to wash glass ware for cell culture?

Jim Kami jakami at ucdavis.edu
Sat Nov 1 16:51:57 EST 1997

For glassware that has impurities (ie bacterial scum) built up on it I
have used the following procedure with good results (ie. good solid cell
growth later)
1. Wash and scrub out what you can with a 1% SDS solution
2. Rinse well with tap water to remove SDS
3. Soak the glassware for at least 30 minutes in 5M KOH in 95% Ethanol
   (This is an EXTREMELY corrosive solution and should be handled only
with gloves and eye protection. It is a current replacement for
Chromerge. The solution can be reused many times, it will turn black
over time but this does not seem to effect it's cleaning ability)
4. Rinse extremely well with DI, RO, Milli-Q or some other clean water
source.
5. Dry or bake glassware.

This may sound a bit extreme, but aren't your cells worth it?

Jim Kami PhD.
Blue Rose Biotech

"Life is short, live large"