pcdm8 dilemna

N. Linford nantzee at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 3 23:10:42 EST 1997

We are having a dispute that maybe someone out here can answer.
Invitrogen's pCDM8 plasmid vector will express proteins under the
direction of the cytolomegalovirus promoter. The plasmid also contains an
SV40 origin of replication. When this plasmid is transiently transfected
into a cell line expressing the SV40 large T antigen, what is the effect
on protein expression? One would expect that the episomal replication of
the plasmid would lead to increased  protein expression because there
would effectively be an increased plasmid number per cell. However, the
CMV promoter produces a high level of constitutive expression and one
could argue that in a transient transfection system the high level of
expression would cover up any effect of the SV40 large T antigen.
Any ideas?
(please respond to me as well as the group)
thanks!
Nancy Linford					UW Dept of Pharmacology, 357280
nantzee at u.washington.edu			f-428       543-8502