E-64 (epoxide) & Propidium Iodide Compatibility

Louis Hom lhom at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 6 00:43:22 EST 1997

I usually add E-64, an epoxide-based irreversible protease inhibitor, to
my cells to, duh, block protease activity.  Anyway, today I needed to
treat my cells with propidium iodide as a vital stain, but I still wanted
to use the E-64.  I'm wondering, though, if the presence of all that
iodide might be attacking the epoxide of E-64, inactivating it.  From what
I recall, I- isn't a great nucleophile, but it *has* been awhile . . .
Lou Hom >K '93
lhom at nature.berkeley.edu
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom