RNA gels

Dr Alok Adholaya aloka at teri.ernet.in
Fri Nov 7 05:48:36 EST 1997

From:     Kirov <kirov at medfac.acad.bg>
To:       bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts mail newsgroup
Subject:  RNA gels

Hi there all,
I am curious if somebody has run RNA gels with just TBE and GuSCN?
The
RNA is mixed with formamide dye and denatured and then run at
higher
than usual voltage.
My question is: is this suitable for Northern or you can just see
how
intact is your RNA? Does it looks much different compared to the
usual
formaldehyde gels?
Steven Kirov
Medical Faculty
Sofia

Yes, you could run gel in TBE with GdSCN in the gel. I do the
runing of my total RNA samples by this method and so have to do
away with messy formaldehyde etc. In this way you could keep the
RNA in the gels protected from RNases. I don't know about Northern
but it has been done ( a paper which I would dig out from my
collection if you wish ). The GdSCN should be added at a
concentration of  20mM from a fresh stock of 1 M. I am using
this method from a paper which was publised I could supply you with
the reference if you desire.

Best wishes

ALOK ADHOLEYA. PhD                      Email: aloka at teri.ernet.in
Microbial Biotechnology Div