activity of mammalian promoters in E.coli?

Stephan Kuppig kuppig at immunbio.mpg.de
Mon Nov 10 06:56:17 EST 1997

Dear Netters,

the problem I faced recently was like this: I attempted to clone the cds of my
protein of interest into a mammalian expression vector and failed to get
positive E.coli clones. This protein (if expressed) is potentially toxic for
bacteria - even in small amounts. Does anybody  know wheter the human beta
actin promoter (that´s the one my expression vector has) can drive expression
in E.coli? And what about other promoters  (e.g. CMV)? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance

Stephan

Stephan Kuppig
Max-Planck-Institute for Immunobiology