nitrilotriacetic acid prep. protocol

gregg goodman goodmang at nih.gov
Mon Nov 10 15:12:33 EST 1997

Hello All:

Could anyone give me a detailed protocol for the preparation of a 0.3M
stock solution of nitrilotriacetic acid?  I have an old bottle and have
had some trouble getting it into solution.  Sigma suggests heating at 55
with sonication.  This worked with limited success.  The Merck index
says the acid is soluble only to 1.28 g/l which is 6.7mM so there is
little doubt that the acid will ever dissolve to 300mM.  I am therefore
presuming we must use a salt form.  Many thanks in advance.

Gregg Goodman