House keeping gene for rat and guinea pig?

D. Pearton pearton at
Mon Nov 10 19:17:49 EST 1997

Z. Huang (huangz at wrote:
: Hi, bionetters,

: Now I am looking for primers for house keeping genes such as beta actin or
: GAPDH in rat and guinea pig. However, in case of guinea pig I can only find
: a short fragment of cDNA encoding GAPDH from genebank. And it's even worse
: that I can't find published sequence data for rat beta actin. My problem is:
: I want to design a set of primer to amplify cDNA of above house-keeping gene
: from rat, guinea pig. If it's possible this set of primers can also be used
: on human and rabbit. Is there anyone who know such a "universal primers for
: house keeping gene"? I would be very appreciate to any suggestions. Thanks.

I don't know about GAPDH but the primers for human RPO work fairly well
for rat cDNA.

Wasn't there some recent papers about variation in GAPDH levels anyway?

Dave Pearton
pearton at
Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll		+