Sequencing Gels Not Sticking to Whatmann

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Nov 12 09:48:32 EST 1997

Make sure that your glas plates are properly silanized.
I got good results with a soln of trimethyl chlorosilane in pentane
(e.g. from fluka, less hazardous than the widespread solns in
1.1.1.trichloroethene). In case of doubt, "oversilanize" it. Maybe
your silane soln has gone dead? (assume it's a bit sensitive to water
vapors)

>    One of the people in our lab is having a unique problem.  After
>    running
> her sequencing gels she places the Whatman paper on the gel to
> remove it from the front plate and then disaster strikes.  The gel
> does not want to come off the glass plate and rips to shreds.  This
> has happened twice now and I can't figure it out.  The backplate is
> "Sigma Coated" so we can't really apply this to the front plate (or
> can we?).  We haven't changed the Whatman or anything else that I
> can think of...  Has anyone ever encountered this before???
>
> Rob
>

> remove the ??'s from e-mail to reply
>
> --

-----
usual disclaimers apply
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/research.htm
-------
!Junk mail is *not* appreciated!
SPAMs will be answered automatically by sending my 128MByte virtual memory file.
This is *NO* joke.