sending DNA internationally

John Korte kortej at css.orst.edu
Mon Nov 17 18:42:36 EST 1997

Greetings,
Has anyone had experience sending DNA to other countries?  I recently
wanted to send some genomic DNA to Australia and had a great amount of
grief doing so.  I normally send it in EtOH, the final conc. of which is
about 50%, this however was not the problem, the DNA itself was at issue.
One company assumed that DNA and blood were the same things and so I was
flatly refused, another wanted an import permit, I thought this reasonable,
but, also time consuming.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John