Expression of stable antisense mRNA ?

Doug Pecota pecota at design.eng.uci.edu
Wed Nov 19 16:50:19 EST 1997

Samuel:
You might try the following article:
Phenotypic conversion of drug-resistant bacteria to drug sensitivity
Proc. Natl. Acad Sci. USA, Vol. 94:8468-8472, Aug 1997
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/16/8468

They talk about using  antisense RNA to suppress antibiotic resistance.

Making a stable antisense RNA may not be possible.  Making the antisense
RNA stable will likely decrease its ability to bind to the target mRNA.
(Single stranded RNA is more readily degraded by cellular RNases and
required for effective binding to the sense RNA.)

Hope this helps.

Doug Pecota
University of California Irvine
pecota at eng.uci.edu