mRNA isolation?

z z-suldan at ski.mskcc.no.spam.org
Wed Nov 19 13:10:55 EST 1997

In article <347255A4.3D8C at hkucc.hku.hk>, ywlee at hkucc.hku.hk wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> We are trying to isolate mRNA from total RNA (from mouse tissues).
> Though there are various types of mRNA purification kit available
> commercially, we have no idea about their efficiency in isolating
> high-molecular weight mRNA (we are interested in RNA of transcript size
> ~11 kb). Anyone who have experience on this aspect please kindly drop me
> an e-mail. Thank you in advance.
> Alan Lee
> e-mail: ywlee at hkucc.hku.hk
>
> P.S. Any comments on PolyAtract from Promega or mRNA isolation kit from
> BM.

I use Promega's polyattract for purifying polyA from total. I usually get
10-20ug from about 1mg total after two extractions. Very straight forward,
relatively easy, always works. I can't say anything about the BM system.
The quiagen system has yet to work in my hands although our old technician
loved it.

One transcript I was looking for was 6-7kb long so while I can't say
anything about 11kb (wow! that's long!)... i was getting up there in size.

Price wise... promega in these parts is about $100/10 rxns.
Good luck

Zal