Oily DNA

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 10:06:37 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.971119102301.28176A-
100000 at suma3.reading.ac.uk>, Clive Boorman <sau95cb at reading.ac.uk>
>During extraction of DNA from crustacea we have found an oily DNA
>precipitate (after pelleting) rather than normal wool-like precipitate.
>From Gill it is OK, but from muscle and mid-gut gland it is oily. The
>same purification methods are used in both cases. Any suggestions why we
>are getting oily DNA (regardless of how many time we wash in ethanol) ?

We've found this several times with various hyperthermophiles, but only
those grown in sea-water media. It's never stopped anything working so
we tend not to worry anymore.

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.