Silver Staining Sequencing

Gina Berardesco gbe392 at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Fri Nov 21 11:30:50 EST 1997

Jens Mollerup (jmollerup at aki.ku.dk) wrote:
> Hi Netters,
> In near future I will start sequencing some EST clones. I intend
> to use a non-radioactive sequencing method, however, I do not know
> if the silver staining protocol (from Promega - called SILVER
> SEQUENCE) will work properly. Has anyone experience with this method
> or some other non-radioactive sequencing method?

Hi-

I used that kit a few years back, I found it fairly easy to work with, and
got good results. I've never done radioactive sequencing, though, so I'm
not sure how it compares. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll need
about 7 liters or so of ultra pure water for the staining. I think Promega
has a sample kit that isn't too expensive if you want to just try it out.

Good luck!

Gina