RNA-resin/membrane

seppo kaijalainen seppo.kaijalainen at helsinki.fi
Fri Nov 28 05:37:40 EST 1997

     There are several resin- or membrane-based kits able to

     separate DNA from RNA (moreorless). At least one rep told

     me that the material is silica and the separation is based

     binding and washing buffers. This kit works.

     HOWEVER: Using their buffers with silicapowder or membrane

     from other sourses - there's no separation.

     This material is probably not diatomaceous earth since I'm

     not talking about Bio-Rad who has the patent (US 5,075,430).

     Several firms sell this kind of product, so it's not propable

     that they all would have developed "a modified silica" able

     to bind RNA but not DNA.

     SO - ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THIS MATERIAL IS.