5´-RACE

Michael Lassner mikel51 at mother.com
Wed Oct 1 08:05:22 EST 1997

One trick that I have found useful is to use longer primers.  Then you
can use high anneal temperatures and do touchdown PCR.  I have had good
luck with 28-31 mer primers.  Then do your PCR with 5 cycles of 72
anneal, 5 cycles of 70 degree anneal, and 30 cycles of 68 degree
anneal.  It also may help to use a hot start PCR if you are not already
doing so.  I have had good luck with the mixture polymerases,  They are
predominantly Taq, but also have a small amount of proofreading enzyme.
Boehringer and Clontech sell these type of enzymes.