Trying to clone DIMERS

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at
Thu Oct 2 05:25:47 EST 1997

In article <Pine.HPP.3.95.970926190233.8921A-100000 at>,
Marcos De La Pena Del Rivero <pena at> writes
> -When the monomers (eluted from a gel) are ligated, I always obtain a
>nice ladder (monomers, dimers, trimers... even hexamers), but the
>eluted dimers cannot be cloned in any vector :(

Could it be that the E.coli you are cloning into just doesn't handle
these types of multimers. Does your PCR product express and could
therefore be lethal with multiple copies? What about trying a lower copy
number vector. I assume you are using a recA(-) (and the rest) host.

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.
TEl/FAX 01252376288