Strange positive in two-hybrid screen

Frederik Boernke boernke at ipk-gatersleben.de
Mon Oct 6 15:45:15 EST 1997

Hi all,

during our last two-hybrid screen we obtained one clone showing growth
on 25 mM 3-AT and expression of the lacZ reporter gene. We retransformed
the activation domain plasmid into E.coli and than sequenced the entire
inserted cDNA fragment. To our surprise the sequence revealed no ORF
longer than a few amino acids. Also additional runs showed no obvious
mistakes within the nucleotide sequence. Using the cDNA fragment as a
probe on a northern blot showed no hybridization. We are just about to
analyse the control transformations but can't say anything yet.
Do you think this is probably a false positive? Has anyone made a similar
experience?

Cheers
Ricky

Frederik Boernke
Research Group of  Molecular Plant Physiologie
Corrensstr. 3
06466 Gatersleben
Tel.  039482 -5 321
Fax. 039482 -5 515