Various stuff about radiolabelling...

Oliver S. DePeyer saspeyer at reading.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 05:49:38 EST 1997

I've heard of a technique where you can simultaneously label a cell
culture with 35S and 32P. Please could someone tell me more about this
technique?

How do you tell the 35S and 32P results apart? Can you adjust the gain on
the phosphoimager or something to discriminate against one or the other?

Could you do this for other combinations of radionucleotides, say 35S and
45Ca or 125I or 14C?

I imagine you are using the 32P to look for phosphorylation... could one
use 33P instead? If not in combination with 35S, then seperately?

How exactly are you screening for the presence of radiolabel?
Autoradiographs of PAGE gels perhaps? Or are you looking for radioactivity
in column or centrifugation fractions, or something?

One technique I would really like to develop is 2D gels... Does
simutaneous radiolabelling apply to 2D gels too?

Many, many thanks in advance for your help!
Looking forward to your emails...

Yours sincerely,

Oliver de Peyer

University of Reading, U.K