Biotech student study group needs assistance

Vladimir Svetlov svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 7 20:00:47 EST 1997

In article <343AA7A9.8619E112 at biokin.com>, Petr Kuzmic <pkuzmic at biokin.com>
wrote:

> Vladimir Svetlov wrote:
>
> > Rick Bright <rbright at emory.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > The process of obtaining information from the internet or newsgroup is
> > > an educational experience in itself and should be encouraged.
>
> > Good sermon, Rick. The only problem with it is that internet-mediated
> > education is a pink pankadoo.
>
> I believe that the Internet-mediated education (of which this discussion
> group in some sense is a part) increases in quality if everyone's
> messages strenuously avoid sarcasm.

I believe that sarcasm is entirely appropriate when somebody picks up a
tertiary tangent to the original question and delivers a passionate message
about the nature of Man and the Internet. Let's now put both our beliefs in
a glass jar and see which one wins.

> My understanding is that the
> previous correspondent was attempting to have a conversation about the
> role of Inernet in learning, for which, I am convinced, there must be an
> appropriate discussion group.

Previous (to my post) correspondent was commenting on the reprimand, that
correspondent before him made towards yet even more previous
correspondent's alledgedly inappropriate request. That makes your post a
4th level pointer to an original impropriety. That's deep, man.

> This group is advertised under the heading "Requests for information and
> laboratory reagents in molecular biology".  I think that exchanging
> views here on completely unrelated topics is misplaced.

And thus you should be rather discussing the uses of say, sarcosyl, and not
sarcasm. The topic, however, elevated or degenerated into discussion of the
kind of requests, that some people find frustrating, disruptive or
exploitational. As such this topic is not unrelated, but rather corollary
to the board. I remember this issue exploding before.

> Nevertheless,
> labeling anyone's message on any topic a "sermon" is highly
> inappropriate, as it does not promote courtous and respectful exchange
> of widely differing points of view, for which the Internet is so ideally
> suited.

Well, in this case my widely differing point of view is that the term
"sermon" is perfectly suited to describe an emotional outburst mixed with
preaching and condemnations. Now let's go back to Sarcosyl.

Regards,
V.