which PCR machine?

Geoffrey Kidd GKidd at Aptagen.com
Tue Oct 7 15:28:14 EST 1997

I tried the LightCycler from Idaho.  It worked pretty well, but in my
opinion its utility will be for those screening many samples for a
particular product, such as clinical labs screening zillions of
samples for a disease or a panel of diseases, etc.  This is because the
machine was designed to let you distinguish between your desired PCR
product and other junk by doing a melting curve for you.  If you know
what your product's curve looks like (from past experience, for
example), then you can see graphically how much of the total PCR
products consist of your desired product.  Thus, once you have
experience with a particular PCR product, you can run a zillion
reactions and theoretically determine whether and how much of your
product is produced without running it on a gel.  I work in a commercial
lab where we are always producing different things, so it was not useful
to us in light of its great expense.  Even if I were in a standard
university lab, I'm not sure I'd go for it.  I'm a great fan of the
RapidCycler, made by the same company, and I always like to see the
actual products on a gel anyway - you get more info that way.