Biotech student study group needs assistance

Tue Oct 7 14:43:00 EST 1997

At 02:08 PM 10/7/97 -0500, Vladimir Svetlov wrote:
>In article <3437F12D.ED448A60 at emory.edu>, Rick Bright <rbright at emory.edu>
wrote:
><snip> The only people I can see
>> opposed to students seeking assistance online are those who are very
>> outdated and who were unable to do so "in their day."  It is truly a
>> regression to chastise someone for utilizing this resource.
>>
>> The process of obtaining information from the internet or newsgroup is
>> an educational experience in itself and should be encouraged.<snip>
>> Rick Bright
>

>Good sermon, Rick. The only problem with it is that internet-mediated
>education is a pink pankadoo. ... but I don't want to encourage
>anybody willing to send the entire scientific community (potentially) to
>look up a composition of the tris-glycine buffer or to read textbooks for
>them, instead of saving evrybody's time and getting brain augmentation by
>doing it themselves.
>Regards,
>V.

Than you Vladimir Svetlov,
        This is the sentiment I, and many others I'm sure, share. Internet
and these discussion fora can not, and should not be, surrogate supervisors;
nor should such sites be used to replace trips to the bookshelves. Although
such "misuses" are few and far between when the we consider the sheer volume
of mails that each newsgroup processes each day, the trend is disturbing.
And now we have high school students trying to use internet groups for their
homeworks. When each and every student has access to the internet, this will
surely be "regressive".
Regards,
Hiranya.