endothelial primary culture

Rae Nishi nospamnishir at ohsu.edu
Wed Oct 8 10:59:15 EST 1997

In article <343A3D42.5F0 at veg-physiol.med.uni-goettingen.de>
HKP at veg-physiol.med.uni-goettingen.de (Herz-Kreislauf-Physiologie)
writes:

> dear readers,
>
> we are culturing primary endothelial cells from pig and rat aorta. until
> now we coated our dishes with collagen and our cells were quite fine.
> since we are interested in gene regulation induced by mechanical forces
> we have to grow our cells on a foil, designed to be stretchable. on this
> foil we have to use fibronectin as a coat. can you give me a cheap
> source of fibronectin, or a good alternative?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> m. cattaruzza

Fibronectin was originally called "cold insoluble globulin" and was
first isolated from human plasma where it is present at a concentration
of 300ug/ml (see Hynes & Yamada 1982. JCB 95:369).  This plasma
fibronectin might work for your purposes.  I bet it's pretty easy to
get a partially purified fraction from outdated human blood from a
blood bank (after all, you just spin out the cells, then collect
whatever is insoluble in the cold....).  Boy, I must be getting old if
I remember this kind of stuff....

'Na, ja' sagte der Hund und verschwund.

reply to nishir at ohsu.edu
Rae Nishi, PhD