Consluting about Qiagen RNeasy Plant Mini Kit

Susanne Beckert sbeckert at biologie.uni-ulm.de
Mon Oct 13 08:51:51 EST 1997

KwangChul Oh wrote:

> Hi all...
> I am planing to purchase Qiagen RNeasy Plant mini kit to extract total
> RNA
> in a tiny amount, approximately 50-75 mg, of woody plant tissue.
> According
> to the information and protocol provided by Qiagen, it will work very
> well.
> My concern is high amount of phenol compound in my samples. Thus I may
>
> change the extraction buffer. I found just one paper published in
> "Plant
> disease".  I am looking for some advice from who has experienced  with
> this
> kit.
> Thanks
>
> KwangChul OH
> ohk at bcc.orst.edu

Dear colleague,
we have tried the Qiagen RNeasy Plant mini kit on mosses and it worked
fine. I don´t know anything about it with woody tissue but it´s probably

only a problem of thoroughly grinding it in liquid nitrogen. The kit is
not cheap but is easy to handle and the RNA is at least amenable to cDNA

synthesis.
Hope this helps
--
Susanne Beckert     (susanne.beckert at biologie.uni-ulm.de)
Address: M24, Albert-Einstein-Allee 11, 89081 Ulm