Questions about DNA recovery by silica binding

Wilson netson at uxmail.ust.hk
Mon Oct 13 11:15:26 EST 1997

Dear all,
	I would like to use homemake silica to recover DNA from agarose
gel.  I know that DNA can bind to the silica under high salt
concentration.  Almost all protocol are suggested that high concentration
of NaI is used to dissolve agarose gel and provide the high salt condition
for the DNA binding.  Is it possible to use other salt such as NaCl, KCl
etc to substitute NaI (if my DNA is in agarose gel or in TE)?  Is there
any advantage of using NaI rather than other salt?

Thank you very much

Wilson