Gene Cloning

Pamela Norton pnorton at
Tue Oct 14 11:01:37 EST 1997

In article <61jre5$r75$1 at>, sa62503 at
(Zhifang Zhu) wrote:

> MOLECULAR BIOLOGISTS: Dr. L. Gan,  Dr. L. Li,  & Dr. Z. Wang.
> gene cloning
> 2990 Richmond, Suite 330
> Houston, TX 77098
> U.S.A.
> Tel: (713) 522-5550
> Fax: (713) 522-7447
> Email: clonclon at
> * ZAP expression & ZAP two Hybrids System vector
>    available, which contains prokaryotic & eukaryotic
>    promoters,unidirectional,specifically, the full length
>    cDNA can be cut out with restriction enzyme.

> cDNA Library Vector     Cat #   Price $
> Zap expression       GC2001     4800
> Zap II               GC2002     4800
> Lambda gt10          GC2003     4000
> Lambda gt11          GC2004     4000
> Your choice          GC200X     Negotiable
many other services using proprietary reagents and other things removed.

     My Stratgene catalog says about the Zap vectors:
The Lambda ZAP vector is covered by Stratagene's United States Patent Nos.
5,128,256 and 5,286,636. The purchase of this vector includes a limited
non-exclusive license under such patent rights to use the vector for the
cloning, expression and characterization of genes. This license does NOT
grant any rights to:

1. Use the Lambda ZAP vector for the reproduction, amplification or
modification of the vector;
2. Offer the lambda ZAP vector or any derivative thereof for resale; or
3. Distribute or transfer the Lambda ZAP vector or any derivative thereof
to third parties.

     So, did you guys obtain a license from Stratagene to distribute their
vectors? I suppose you might be covered if you purchase the vector anew for
each customer. Just wondering....

     Pam Norton

Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at