Gene Cloning

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:01:37 EST 1997

In article <61jre5$r75$1 at oac2.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>, sa62503 at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
(Zhifang Zhu) wrote:

> GENE CLONING CONSULTED BY:
> MOLECULAR BIOLOGISTS: Dr. L. Gan,  Dr. L. Li,  & Dr. Z. Wang.
>
> gene cloning
> 2990 Richmond, Suite 330
> Houston, TX 77098
> U.S.A.
> Tel: (713) 522-5550
> Fax: (713) 522-7447
> Email: clonclon at hotmail.com
>

> GENE CLONING OFFERS:
>
> CUSTOM LIBRARY CONSTRUCTION
> * ZAP expression & ZAP two Hybrids System vector
>    available, which contains prokaryotic & eukaryotic
>    promoters,unidirectional,specifically, the full length
>    cDNA can be cut out with restriction enzyme.

> cDNA Library Vector     Cat #   Price $
> Zap expression       GC2001     4800
> Zap II               GC2002     4800
> Lambda gt10          GC2003     4000
> Lambda gt11          GC2004     4000
> Your choice          GC200X     Negotiable

many other services using proprietary reagents and other things removed.

     My Stratgene catalog says about the Zap vectors:

The Lambda ZAP vector is covered by Stratagene's United States Patent Nos.
5,128,256 and 5,286,636. The purchase of this vector includes a limited
non-exclusive license under such patent rights to use the vector for the
cloning, expression and characterization of genes. This license does NOT
grant any rights to:

1. Use the Lambda ZAP vector for the reproduction, amplification or
modification of the vector;
2. Offer the lambda ZAP vector or any derivative thereof for resale; or
3. Distribute or transfer the Lambda ZAP vector or any derivative thereof
to third parties.

     So, did you guys obtain a license from Stratagene to distribute their
vectors? I suppose you might be covered if you purchase the vector anew for
each customer. Just wondering....

     Pam Norton

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu