Why "alanine" scanning?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu Oct 16 13:40:57 EST 1997

My boss just asked me this, and I didn't have a very satisfactory answer:
Why, when doing alanine scanning, does one change to alanine instead of
glycine?  I understand that alanine is sort of a generic, unexciting, Joe
Amino Acid; but why isn't glycine just as bland, boring, and unexciting?

I mumbled about maybe having a sidechain made alanine a little more
generic than glycine, but I couldn't come up with a clear justification.
Anyone?

Ian