genomic sequencing

Anthony G. Gutierrez tonygt19 at
Sat Oct 18 23:11:11 EST 1997

In article <62597k$trc$1 at>, lmarek at (Laura F
Marek) wrote:

> Can anyone give me information about sequencing using genomic DNA as
>  template and/or how to find any information about this topic?
>  A search of this group's archives yielded only that a few others
>  have posted a similar question; no answers.  Thanks very much.
> Laura Fredrick Marek
> G313 Agronomy
> Iowa State University
> Ames IA 50011
> lmarek at
It's probably not possible to directly sequence from genomic DNA since you can't control the quantity of the stretch of DNA to be extended. You are also likely to have multiple primer binding sites which will make your gel look like hell. If you have sequencing primers for a targeted region why not amplify that first, purify it and then sequence the amplicon?
Tony Gutierrez
Molecular Bio Lab