reverse transcripatase in Taq?

John Ladasky jladasky at pmgm.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 20 19:14:27 EST 1997

In article <3447D881.7FB1 at ubaclu.unibas.ch>,
Peter Schuchert  <schuchert at ubaclu.unibas.ch> wrote:
>It was once reported that Taq can also reverse transcribe RNA.
>What's the actual opinion on that?
>
>I try to make rt-PCR of a weakly expressed gene and get specific bands
>even without reverse transcription (contamination can be excluded,
>the RNA has been treated with DNAseI and the genomic copy has an intron,
>so that can be excluded too).
>Any hints before I go and try RNAse treatment (reluctantly!!)

	Are you sure that there are no processed pseudogene homologs of your
gene of interest lurking around in the genome?  If so, you could be ampli-
fying a sequence from gDNA without realizing it.  Good luck!