why BSA is need ed in some resriction enzymes reaction

John Watson watsonaj at bms.com
Wed Oct 22 21:18:00 EST 1997

Peter wrote:

> In article <61jvko$d1g at news.cuny.edu>, kang at msvax.mssm.edu wrote:
>
> .> I think BSA works in at least following 2 ways.
> .>
> .> 1. Block the binding of RE onto the plastic surface
> .> 2. Block the digestion of enzyme by protease
> .> 3. binds and cleans out contaminated SDS in the soln.
> .>
> .> --- and maybe others also -------
>
> BSA can also act as High Molcular PEGS (>6000) do.  It lowers the
> hydrophobicity of the solution.  Some reactions especially ones that occur
> at a membrane surface involve proteins that have hydrophobic
> regions/reaction centers which are stabilized by hydrophobic solutions.
> An example of this is clotting Factor Xa.

I'll add one more. In my first year mol biol course, Winston Salser told
us that one of the things BSA did was to occupy the aqueous:air
interface. He said it had something to do w/ surface tension forces
being strong enough to denature the endonuclease. I can remember him
acting out the part of the denaturing enzyme, throwing his arms out from
his sides and shouting, "Whee!"

AJW
John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.