Pub Quality Seq Comparison?

John Watson watsonaj at bms.com
Wed Oct 22 21:23:45 EST 1997

Peter wrote:

> In article <3438DAB9.5072 at sci.nwfsc.noaa.gov>, Karen Peck-Miller
> <kpeck-miller at sci.nwfsc.noaa.gov> wrote:
>

> > Could anyone suggest DNA analysis software that could do this?  Thanks
> > in advance.
> >
> > Karen A. Peck-Miller, Ph.D.
> > National Marine Fisheries Service
> > Seattle, WA
> >
> Karen
>
> GCG does all that and much much more but the program costs big bucks.  If
> you contact www.psc.edu allocations, you might be able to get a one year
> account on there front end computers that have GCG.  Most DNA analysis
> software packages cost alot of money and have to be continually updated.
> This is why GCG is so nice somebody else maintains the Database and buying
> time on another computer will save you money.   Since you are a government
> researcher they might give you some free time.

Now, I don't know about version 9, but older versions of GCG did not
provide that functionality. A suite of additional programs, EGCG,
included a program called Prettyplot that would take an .msf file and
generate a postscript figure w/ boxes, etc. You could check w/ your
sysadmin to see if your server has EGCG installed.

A comparable Mac program is MegAlign from DNA* (DNAStar). It will
generate the alignment (CLUSTAL) and generate publication-quality
output. Not cheap, though.

Cheers,

AJW
John Watson