Degenerate primers

Meteorite vdmerwea at
Thu Oct 23 16:09:05 EST 1997

Could anybody give some pointers on how to go about designing degenerate
primers? I have an amino acid sequence which revealed several conserved
regions by comparison with related ones, but I want to know which ones I
can use to design the primers from. Some are small (irrelevant?), while
other regions are quite large (up to 10 amino acids). Also, I would like to
know why some researchers include I (inosine) in their degenerate primers.
What does I bind to, and what is its function in the primer?

(Yours in nightmare...)