molarity of HCl

Peter pxpst2 at vms.cis.pitt.delet.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:14:20 EST 1997

In article <01bcde67$b68ca680$81e341c2 at host.telepac.pt>, "Vitor Cruz"
<vitorcruz at mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> After reading 3 different answers, all of them correct but nevertheless
> different, I would like to express another point of view:

But there is only one correct answer and all were not correct.
Appearances are decieving.  Now let's go back in time to GENERAL CHEMISTRY.
First HCl is a strong acid and completely ionizes in aqueous solutions and
chemists do not use the stupid percent values(g/100ml) because a percent
should have no label and this number obviously has a label.  But now I
digress.

- HCl has a MW of 36.5 and a specific gravity of 1.19 g/ml
- the percent on the bottle refers to w/w and is usually 37% but different
lots may vary from 36.5% - 38%.
- for all the biologists out there the percentage(g/100ml) is 44 %.
- the approximate molarity is 12.1 M.  Note that I only have three sig
figs because this was calculated by the real pecent on the bottle (w/w).

NOW kill this thread.  This is getting very silly

Peter

--
"Don't you eat that yellow snow
    WAtch out where the Huskies go"

Let us not forget those marketing boys from SPAM CENTRAL

bestrealtor at marketingmaster.com
info at herbchew.com
clickthru at timefreedom.com
invite at onlinenow.net