protein structure/function/analysis

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:43:43 EST 1997

I've got a clone (and more on the way), I've got the DNA sequence, now I'm
faced with trying to make sense of it all.  Are there any good, general
discussions in the literature about analyzing protein sequence?  For
example: I can find open reading frames using computer analyzis, but how
can I predict which is most likely the correct one (other than looking for
a long stretch with no stops).  What characteristics define a leader
sequence, or any of the various protein motifs?  Are there any references
that can get me started on this kind of analysis, or do I just have to dig
through literature and run blast searches until I notice sequence
similarities?  If anyone can point me in the right direction to get
started, I would appreciate the help.   Thanks!

Deb Britt

--
Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Oncology