molarity of HCl

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at NOSPAM.smtp.anes.upmc.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:18:16 EST 1997

In article <344B8865.41C6 at physik.mu-luebeck.de>
Thomas Hettmann <hettmann at physik.mu-luebeck.de> writes:

> Let's start with the 37%. If nothing else is specified, that means
> weight per weight, i.e. 370 g of HCl per 1 kg of solution.

Is weight per weight really the default unit?  I was under the
impression, though I've never read the official rules anywhere, that
weight per volume was the default unit. Most replies to this post seem
to believe that 37% specifies weight per volume, not weight per weight.

Bob Mihalek,Ph.D.             University of Pittsburgh
remove NOSPAM. for non-commercial e-mail replies