mRNA in red blood cells?

D. Diaz dolo at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 24 20:08:23 EST 1997

HI,

I am currently doing some in-situ hybridizations looking at an
oxidative-stress related enzyme, and I am finding lots of specific signal
in blood when looking at GD16 mouse embryos.  Mature RBCs should in fact
have lots of the protein which that mRNA codes for, but I am very
surprised to see signal for the mRNA in those fetal RBCs.  Does anybody
know whether fetal blood has a higher proportion of immature RBCs than
adult blood, or any other reason that could explain this signal?

dolo