PROBLEMS WITH TURBOBLOTTER USED FOR SOUTHERNS

paul gold paulgold at MO.NET
Fri Oct 24 17:28:42 EST 1997

We have been experiencing an annoying problem with our Schleicher and
Schuell TurboBlotter used for Southerns.  We get what appear to be "air
bubble blotches" on the outer edges of the nylon filter.
Things we have tried:

1.  We are rolling the sandwich with a pipet to remove bubbles.

2.  We make sure to prewet the nylon with water not NaOH.

3.  We are very careful to cut the blotting papers to the suggested
sizes.

4.  We got a second lot of nylon Zeta Probe Membrane from Bio rad.

5.  All reagents are made with room temperature water.

Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.