How many nts does T7 polymerase need 5' of the promoter quence to work?

Dave Adelson d.adelson at prospect.anprod.csiro.au
Sun Oct 26 23:33:31 EST 1997

G'day,

Does anyone have at their fingertips just how many nucleotides are
required 5' of the T7 promoter site for the T7 polymerase to bind and do
it's thing?  For instance, using a PCR product with the T7 promoter in
one of the primers. I apologise if this question has been asked and
answered > 10^6 times already, but a cursory search of the archives gave
me no joy.

Thanks,

Dave
|  Dave Adelson     d.adelson at prospect.anprod.csiro.au  |
|                                            __         |
|  CSIRO Division of Animal Production      /. \_____   |
|  LMB#1, BLACKTOWN, N.S.W. AUSTRALIA      < <_/     )  |
|  FAX:  61-2-9840-2940                     \ _ _____/  |
|  THE CSIRO OWNS MY WORK BUT DISCLAIMS MY OPINIONS     |
|  http://www.anprod.csiro.au                           |

I think that all good, right thinking people in this country are sick
and tired of being told that all good, right thinking people in this
country are fed up with being told that all good, right thinking people
in this country are fed up with being sick and tired.  I'm certainly
not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

-- Monty Python