Activity restored by mixing recombinant domains?

Lloyd Graham lloyd.graham at
Mon Oct 27 23:57:24 EST 1997

Greetings all,

I'm looking for any precedents where the domains of a monofunctional
enzyme have been expressed separately as inactive proteins, but when mixed
together they associate to form a complex with significant enzymatic

The closest I have got to an example is mouse creatine kinase, where
independent expression of the two domains gives inclusion bodies but
co-expression yields active soluble enzyme [Gross et al., 1996: Prot. Sci.
5, 320-330]

If anybody can provide instances where purified inactive domains
complement in vitro, I would be very grateful.