cDNA synthesis to study mRNA

Geoffrey Kidd GKidd at
Mon Oct 27 12:20:54 EST 1997

Pamela Lagali wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am interested in studying the mRNA for a particular protein by
> sythesizing the corresponding cDNA and analyzing that by Southern blotting
> and sequencing.  Has anyone else out there attempted this successfully?
> For various reasons, RT-PCR and cDNA library construction (i.e. common
> methods for mRNA analysis involving cDNA synthesis)  are procedures I do
> not want to undertake at this time.
> Any input would be much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Pam
> Pamela Lagali
> Dept. of Cell Biology and Anatomy
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
> T6G 2H7

One method is actually a service my company offers, so I can't make the
usual "No affiliation" disclaimer.  We construct genes from scratch.
This allows various modifications to be built into the construct, such
as codons optimized for a particular host, the addition/subtraction of
regulatory regions, etc.  If you'd like further info, I'll have some
sent to you, or you can visit our web site at

Geoffrey Kidd, Ph.D.
Technical Services Manager
Aptagen, Inc.