Enhancer for PCR

Geoffrey Kidd GKidd at Aptagen.com
Fri Oct 31 12:46:52 EST 1997

Nikolai Klein wrote:

> I would like to know what this mysteric substance called "enhancer"
> contains. I used it to perform my PCR with enhancer and had quite
> good results. Now I need more enhancer to continue but the company
> "Biozym" only sells it in combination with their polymerases. I have
> a good polymerase(Perkin-Elmer) and do not want to change.
> Can anybody help ?

Do you know whether it's a protein or a chemical?  If it's measured in
Units rather than milligrams, it's probably a protein and could be
Single-Stranded Binding Protein or an anti-polymerase antibody.  If it's
a chemical, it could be a number of things, such as TMAC, DMSO,
formamide, glycerol, or some combination thereof, all of which can be
obtained from Sigma (no affiliation) and surely elsewhere.  Not much
help here, I know, but maybe you can call Biozym and see if you can drag
any info out of them that could help you narrow it down a bit.

Geoffrey Kidd