start codons other than ATG

Koen De Smet k.desmet at nospam.ic.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 10:35:55 EST 1997

Amalia Gomez Serrano wrote:

> Is the occurrence of other start codons different from ATG, i.e. GTG,TTG
> or CTG linked to any specific factor?
>
> is it species, genra- linked?
>
> has anybody any knowledge on this subject, or any reference i could look
> up?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> amalia

A GTG start codon is very common in mycobacteria, but as far as I know,
nodbody knows why certain genes in these organisms have ATG, while
others have GTG.
The hihg proportion of GTG start codons may be linked to the fact that
mycoabcterial genomes are G-C rich (typically 55-65%).

Koen

To reply by email, remove "nospam." from the above address

        Dr Koen A.L. De Smet
        Research Fellow
        Department of Medical Microbiology
        Imperial College Medical School at St Mary's
        Norfolk Place
        London W2 1PG
        Great Britain

        Tel: (+44)-(0)171-594 3946