Idaho Tech Rapid Cycler - opinions?

Shiao Y. Wang sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
Thu Sep 4 00:06:29 EST 1997

> We're considering purchasing an Idaho Technologies Rapid Cycler and were
> wondering if anyone had any comments regarding the functionality of this
> unit-thanks in advice for your replies!

We've had one now for about two years.
Positives:
1. Very, very fast, as claimed by Idaho.
2. Small (10 ul) reaction volumes - sufficient for most applications and
thus save on reagents.
Negatives:
1. Using the capillary tubes takes getting used to and takes more time
to prepare the samples than regular PCR (at least for me and my
students).
2. Does not work with all thermal stable polymerases. Not a problem with
the enzyme but the buffer. Some of the additives in the 10X buffer that
comes with the enzyme (such as Triton X-100) actually inhibit PCR in
capillary tubes for reasons unknown to me.

Good luck.

--
Shiao Y. Wang
University of Southern Mississippi