power supply for submarine gel HELP!

Sun Sep 7 21:46:26 EST 1997

In article <jkropp-0709971804030001 at dnai-140-174-162-206.dialup.dnai.com>, jkropp at dnai.com (Jerry Kropp) wrote:
#
#In article <340C6CF9.34172C59 at in.text>, "Stan A. Baldwin" <see at in.text> wrote:
#
#> I am trying to find a cheap little power supply to run small argarose
#> gels. There is a little power supple made by NAR Laboratory in MA that
#> sold for about $70 that did fine on small gels. The number on their
#> power supply is the wrong phone number and the directory assistant in MA
#> doesn't have a number for them either. They may have gone out of
#> business. I don't know. But does anyone know of where a can get some of
#> these inexpensive power supplies. PLEASE email me. I don't need a $300
#> power supply for a 7x10cm gel. Need something cheap. Thanks
#>
#> Stan
#> sbaldwin at ee.net
#
#Stan,
#I'm at home now, and don't have access to the reference (it is at work),
#but there was something in Anal.Biochem a few yr ago about fashioning a
#60V power supply out of an extension cord, a $5 rectifier diode, and an
#automotive fuse holder to house the diode. I made one, and it worked fine.
#Of course, you got 60V--assuming you're using 120VAC input--no more, no
#less.

Yep - all it takes is a simplest AC/DC converter (a single diode). Myself
and many other people were using just that for years. I would _never_ believe
anything like that can be published in Anal Biochem, though.

Dima