exaggerated transformation efficiencies ?

colossus... s535290 at aix1.uottawa.ca
Mon Sep 8 04:15:27 EST 1997

Hi all,

I have now encountered two occasions where commercially available
"super-competent" cells have turned out to be no better than home made
competent cells I have made using the one step TSS protocol. What in the
heck is up with that ?  have any of you found cells that are as competent
as advertised ? I do need very high efficiency for what I am doing, but
this is starting to make me a little peeved. I mean, a 100 fold
difference in efficiency ? and this is using ccc pUC18....

thanks for listening,

Ed